This blog post was originally published at http://benosteen.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/orcid-update-researcherid-syst...
A quick update:
- ORCID service:
- Geoff Bilder (Crossref) is leading the developmental work on the ORCID system
- The first instance of this system will be based on the code produced for the Thomson-Reuters ResearcherID system which has the following characteristics:
- Java 1.6 (current version is 1.6.021)
- iBatis 188.8.131.527 (current version is 3.0.2)
- Tomcat 5.5.x (current version is 7.0.2)
- MySQL 5.0.19 (current 5.1.50)
- Standard XML RPC
- Quartz Scheduler
- ORCID development phases have not changed much since the beginning:
- Phase 1 – create an author ‘self-claim’ system, based on the ResearcherID code but with changes made to accommodate desired APIs and phase 2 integration work.
- Phase 2 – create a multi-trust system – where trusted bodies (institutions) can publish information on ORCIDs they know about and validate and verify the data held on those ORCIDs in other systems.